How to Make Oscar the Grouch Cupcakes
We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Oscar the Grouch is one of the most iconic characters on Sesame Street, and now you can bring him to life in cupcake form! These easy-to-make Oscar the Grouch cupcakes are perfect for any party or get-together and will be a hit with all your guests. So what are you waiting for? Get baking!
Who is Oscar the Grouch?
Oscar the Grouch is a popular children’s television show Sesame Street character. He is a grumpy, trash-loving creature who lives in a garbage can. Oscar’s signature green color is known for the catchphrase “I love trash!” and his signature green color.
Bake the perfect cupcake
In general, Sesame Street cupcakes are easy to make and only require a few ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. We have already made Big Bird cupcakes, Elmo cupcakes, and even Cookie Monster cupcakes, so you are ready for that Sesame Street party!
The key to making these cupcakes perfect is to use a good from-scratch recipe or a high-quality cake mix, ensuring that your cupcakes are moist and flavorful.
For the Best Cupcake Frosting
For the frosting, you will need a few simple things:
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Green food coloring gel
In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large bowl, cream together the butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the vanilla extract, then add a few drops of green food coloring gel and mix until you reach your desired shade of green.
Pro tip: If the frosting is still tough and powdery, add 1-2 TBSP heavy whipped cream to make it smoother.
Place the piping bag into a large glass and fold the sides of the bag over the rim of the glass. Scoop the frosting into the piping bag. Bring the pastry bag edges up and twist them together to start decorating.
Add a 233 tip to your bag.
If you don’t have a piping bag, try a plastic sandwich bag with the tip snipped off. Frost the cooled and filled cupcakes.
The Base For Oscar the Grouch Cupcakes
I picked a yellow cupcake base as it is easier to tint green than chocolate cupcakes. Chocolate frosting can’t be tinted green, either. The yellow cupcake base can be made from either a boxed mix or the following recipe:
Standard cupcakes recipe
A good yellow cupcake recipe for the base:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs at room temp
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2” cubes
- 1/2 cup milk – the higher the fat content the better
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
- green food coloring
Preheat the oven to 350°F and place the shelf in the middle of the oven. Line the muffin tin with cupcake liners.
How Make Oscar the Grouch Cupcakes
In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside.
Place butter and milk in a microwave-safe dish and zap for 2 minutes on high to melt the butter.
In a separate bowl, beat eggs for 30 seconds on medium-high speed. With the beater still going, pour the sugar in over a 30 seconds time period.
Beat eggs for 6 minutes more on a highly faster speed, or until they tripled in volume and are almost pure white. Add green food coloring to get the color you wish. Note – they would bake out a little lighter than you see now as you add several other ingredients.
When the egg is whipped, scatter 1/3 flour across the surface, then beat on low for 5 seconds. Stop beating, add half the remaining flour, then mix on low for 5 seconds. Add remaining flour, then mix on Speed 1 for 5 – 10 sec until the flour is just mixed in. Once you can’t see flour, stop straight away.
Pour the hot milk/butter, vanilla, and oil into the empty flour bowl. Add about 3/4 cups of the Egg Batter into the hot milk. Use a whisk to mix until smooth. It should look kind of foamy.
With the beater on low still, pour the milk mixture into the Egg Batter over 10-15 seconds, then turn the beater off.
Fill your muffin tins with batter until they are 2/3 full. Bake 20-22 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Easy Oscar the Grouch Cupcakes recipe
Use a dressed-up boxed cake mix. (snort)
Oscar the Grouch Cupcakes Decorating Tutorial
You will need a few things:
- Green cupcakes, cooled and ready to frost
- Green food coloring
- White frosting – homemade or store-bought
- Wilton #233 piping tip for fur
- Black icing, although you could use black frosting. I have done this when I had some leftovers from a previous cupcake project.
- Deco eyes
Bake cupcakes per recipe directions and let them cool completely.
Tint your frosting green with the green food coloring, and fill your piping bag with it.
Use black gel icing to draw on a mouth.
Use tip 233 to pipe green fur on the remainder of the cupcake from the mouth out as shown.
Attach eyes, and then use the black gel icing to add eyebrows.
Tips and Tricks
- If you want your cupcakes to be extra green, you can add a few drops of green food coloring gel to the batter.
- For a fun twist, you can make these cupcakes into mini cakes by baking them in mini cupcake tins.
- If you want to save time, you can use store-bought vanilla frosting instead of making your own and just tinting it green.
- These cupcakes are best eaten the day they are made, but they will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Other recipes you may like:
- Frankenstein Cupcakes: Spooky and Delicious Halloween Treats
- Will Cupcakes Stay Fresh in a Cardboard Box? Expert Insight and Tips
- Pig Cupcakes: How to Make Adorable and Delicious Treats for Your Next Party
- Pumpkin Pecan Cupcake: A Delicious Fall Treat
- Amazing Waffle Cupcakes: A Delicious Twist on a Classic Treat