Sinfully Delicious Chocolate Salted Caramel Cupcakes pretty much says it all, doesn’t it? You can cut the time and list of ingredients way down if you start with a box of chocolate cake mix, but as usual, I do think scratch makes a difference here.
The thing I love the most about my Costco membership is the jar of sea-salted chocolate covered caramels that we get and keep in the fridge. Being cold seems to make a difference in how amazing they taste, kind of like a frozen Snicker’s Bar. The Reese’s Topping Mix pack, when paired with the caramel topping, takes these simple chocolate cupcakes to the same level as those caramels we love. The flavors simply dance together across your tongue.
Why do those flavors work so well together? As the popularity of gourmet sea salts started to increase, its inclusion in caramel treats began to rise as well. The enormous appeal of this sweet and salty combination is simple, seeing as blending two flavors doubles the taste sensation. Add chocolate into that? You knock it out of the ballpark!
Just in case you have a Costco near you that you haven’t check out yet, see our article here: How to Get the Best Deals at Costco. They really can help save you some serious cash, depending on what you purchase.
Sinful Chocolate Salted Caramel Cupcakes
For your Cupcakes you will need:
- 2 C sugar
- 1 3/4 C flour
- 3/4 C cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1 C whole milk, room temp
- 1/2 C canola
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 C boiling water
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 C unsalted sweet cream
- 3 C + 1/2 C powder sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3-5 TBSP heavy whipping cream.
- 1/4 tsp sea salt plus 1/8 for later
- caramel sauce for drizzle,
- Reese’s topping mix pack.
Sinful Chocolate Salted Caramel Cupcakes Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with paper liners.
Whisk the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl.
Combine the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla in a bowl. Add this to the dry ingredients beating on medium until the batter is smooth.
Gradually add the boiling water, milk, and oil and blend together until the batter is smooth.
Using a medium scoop fill the paper-lined cupcake tins with the prepared batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to slightly cool before transferring to wire racks.
Sea Salt buttercream Frosting Directions:
- Beat powder sugar, butter, and sea salt in a bowl.
- Incorporate the vanilla
- Add in the heavy whipping cream, and continue to mix until stiff peaks form.
- Scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with a large tip.
- Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip.
- Start by frosting on the outside edge of the cupcake working to the center of the cupcake.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce and then sprinkle the Reeses snack pack.
- sprinkle some of the remaining sea salt.