Homemade Hostess Cupcakes are not only a little better for you, but kind of fun to make. They are incredibly easy to customize them for your Valentine and so tasty that your eyes literally roll back into your head when they cross your lips.
The subtle hint of coffee balances wonderfully with the buttermilk and makes for a truly decadent and rich texture to treat yourself.
Homemade Hostess Cupcakes
You will need:
- 2 C sugar
- 1 ¾ C flour
- ¾ C cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 C buttermilk
- 1 C fresh brewed coffee
- ½ C canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- cupcake linkers
- Muffin tin
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Using a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Beat in buttermilk, coffee, oil, eggs, and vanilla until combined – but don’t over beat. You will incorporate too much air into them and have hollow tunnels in your final baked product. Scoop batter into cupcake liners and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Allow the homemade hostess cupcakes to cool completely. Then cut a little cone out of the center of each chocoalte cupcake.
For the Whipped cream filling you will need:
WHIPPED CREAM FILLING:
- 2 TBSP cold water
- 1 ¼ tsp unflavored gelatin
- 1 ½ C chilled heavy whipping cream
- ¾ C powdered sugar
- 2 disposable piping bags, one fitted with a number 2 tip
Using a small bowl, add the cold water. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water and allow to set for 10 minutes.
Using a small pot, add about ½ C water and place over medium to high heat. Place the gelatin bowl over the pot. Once stir until the gelatin is melted.
Using a standing mixer, beat the heavy whipping cream and powdered
sugar until soft peaks form. Beat in the gelatin mixture until stiff peaks have formed. Scoop some of the whipped cream batter into the piping bags. Poke into and pipe cream into the centers of the cupcakes.
For the Chocolate Ganache You Will Need:
- 1 C semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ C heavy whipping cream
- 1 Disposable piping bag
Using a small pot, heat up the heavy whipping cream over medium to high heat until slightly simmering. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl. Allow to sit for 1 minute before whisking until smooth.
Homemade Hostess Cupcakes Decorating
Dip the cupcakes into the chocolate ganache. Allow to harden for a few minutes
Using the filling with the tip, pipe out the words “Love” in cursive
onto the top of the cupcakes as well as the traditional squiggle.
Other copycat type recipes we love:
- Instant Pot Copycat Starbucks Egg Bites Ham and Cheese w/Basil – 6 Weight Watcher Smart Points!
- Copycat Serendipity Frozen Hot Chocolate
- Strawberry Buttercream Recipe Topped Strawberry Cupcakes!
- Copycat…. “Disneyland” Dole Whip Recipe
- **Knock off** Egg & I Chicken Salad Sandwich
- **Knock Off** Famous Daves Corn Muffins
- **Knockoff** TGI Friday’s Green Bean Fries
- **Knockoff** Olive Garden Pasta e Fagoli Soup Recipe
- **Knockoff** Panera Bread Cheddar/Broccoli Soup
- ***Knockoff*** Qdoba Cilantro Lime Rice