How to Make the Cutest Cat Cupcakes
We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
What cat-lover can resist cat cupcakes? These adorable cat-shaped and decorated desserts are great for parties, dessert tables, or anytime you have a craving for something sweet. We’ll show you how to make cat cupcakes!
History of cats
Cats are not native to the Americas, but cat domestication likely began in ancient Egypt. Cats were attracted by grain stores and killed mouse pests which threatened their food supply. The Egyptians revered them for this service they provided as well as other roles like pest control on ships and rodent removal from granaries.
The Ancient Greeks also maintained cat populations in order to control rodent populations. The cat was holy and a symbol of femininity for the Egyptians, while they were considered evil by the Greeks who would often kill cats on sight.
In medieval Europe, felines were more despised than loved due to their connection with witches; these animals were thought to turn into spirits at night which caused mischief.
Cats were brought to the Americas by European settlers who didn’t want cats eradicating native species, but cat populations in North America have exploded on their own due to humans’ lack of interest and affection for these animals.
The cat population is now estimated at an astonishing 100 million felines in the United States alone! In contrast, cat populations in Europe and Asia are much lower.
Cats have been deemed the most popular pet for Americans, with 65% of homes owning a cat according to an April 2017 survey by Gallup pollsters.
All about cat lovers
Cat lovers can be cat people, cat ladies, or cat guys.
– Cat People – This term is used to describe someone who adores cats and will do anything for them.
– Cat Ladies/Guys – A cat lady or guy loves felines so much they may have more than one cat at a time! It’s not uncommon for cat ladies to have many more cats than most people would consider healthy.
– Cat Mom – A cat mom loves her cat so much it’s as if she is the mother of a child! They will do anything for their furry little ones, even though they know that sometimes this behavior can be seen by others as excessive and obsessive.
Cats are many cat lovers’ best friends and that is why we have this fun treat today. After all, what cat-lover can resist cat cupcakes?
Cat cupcakes recipe
These cupcake bases can be made with either a yellow boxed cake mix or a recipe from scratch.
Cat cupcakes recipe
A good yellow cupcake recipe for the base:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs at room temp
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2” cubes
- 1/2 cup milk – the higher the fat content the better
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and place the shelf in the middle of the oven. Line the muffin tin with cupcake liners.
How to make Cat cupcakes
In a large bowl whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside.
Place butter and milk in a microwave-safe dish and zap 2 minutes on high to melt the butter.
In a separate bowl, beat eggs for 30 seconds on medium-high speed.
With the beater still going, pour the sugar in over 30 seconds.
Beat eggs for 6 minutes more on a highly faster speed, or until tripled in volume and almost pure white.
When the egg is whipped, scatter 1/3 flour across the surface, then beat on low for 5 seconds. Stop beating, add half the remaining flour, then mix again on low for 5 seconds. Add remaining flour, then mix on Speed 1 for 5 – 10 sec until the flour is just mixed in. Once you can’t see flour, stop straight away.
Pour the hot milk/butter, vanilla, and oil into the now empty flour bowl. Add about 3/4 cups of the Egg Batter into the hot milk. Use a whisk to mix until smooth. It should look kind of foamy.
With the beater on low still, pour the milk mixture into the Egg Batter over 10-15 seconds, then turn the beater off.
Fill your muffin tins with batter until they are 2/3 full. Bake 20-22 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Easy Cat Cupcakes recipe
Use a dressed-up boxed cake mix. (snort)
How do you store Cat Cupcakes?
Here is the thing – with the more futzy designs, I like to make them in advance of an event or get-together. The best way to usually store your finished creations? Room Temperature.
Granted, they aren’t going to be around that long – my family of three could easily take them out in two to three days. Since you are using canned frosting instead of buttercream frosting or fondant, they should be fine for five to six days. You can learn more about that in our article How To Frost A Cupcake.
How to make Cat cupcakes for kids
You will need the following items to make your cat cupcakes:
- Baked yellow cupcakes per whichever recipe you want to use and let them cool completely.
- Black Fondant for the cat ears
- White frosting – homemade or storebought
- Multi-colored frosting as desired for fur – it can be black and white, grey and white, orange and white, etc
- Wilson deco tip 233 to create fur
- Deco eyes
- Pink pearl candies for nose
- Gel icing for nose, whiskers, and tongue
How to make cat cupcakes:
Roll out fondant and cut out triangle shapes for the ears. Set the ears aside for a bit and work on the cat fur.
Spoon a dollop of white frosting on the cupcake and spread it out. This will be your base.
Pop your multi-colored frosting into your piping bag that is fitted with that Wilton tip 233.
Pipe on fur over base frosting in the desired pattern of your choice. You can pipe it all over the cupcake or just around the edges
Apply fondant ears near the top of the cupcake, on either side of your cat’s head.
Add on eyes where you think they fit best.
Place pearl candy nose on your cat’s face.
Use gel icing to create whiskers, mouth, tongue, and any additional details desired.
Your beautiful cat cupcakes are done and ready to be shared with your favorite cat lovers!
Other animal cupcakes you may enjoy:
- How to Make Magical Halloween Unicorn Cupcakes
- How to Make Spider Web Cupcakes
- How to Make Elf Cupcakes: Elf Pet Saint Bernard
- Shark Week Cupcakes
- Super Cute Bunny Bum Cupcakes
- Bat Cupcake for Halloween Treats
- Crabby Cupcake Recipe