We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Take Me Out to the Ball Game – doesn’t that simple song elicit warm fuzzy feelings in just about everyone? One of my greatest childhood memories was spending time with my dad at the Brewers Games in Milwaukee. We would occasionally tailgate with the grill – making hot dogs and brats to go with the chips and sodas we brought but often there were sandwiches on wheat Brownberry multi-grain bread. I remember the bag of peanuts that we would smuggle in and munch on as we watched the game. These Game Day Cupcakes are a nod back to those fun times.
Rollie Fingers, Stormin’ Gorman Thomas, Cecil Cooper, Jim Gantner, Robin Yount, Paul Molitor and more made the “dream team” of champions that were fun to cheer on. Many of them have gone on to become Hall-of-Fame inductees and legends in their own right. I remeber dancing at the 7-th inning stretch to Roll Out the Barrel, and seeing the balloons released every time the team scored a home run. Now, of course, we know that releasing balloons is a bad idea for the animals of the environment but back then? It was magical to kids in the moment on any given game day.
I’m not sure why I stopped going to games, the hubster recently got us back to going again with tickets from work. We have brought Miss Sarah and started passing some of those memories forward. Granted it is a little different, we now have a skybox or box seats, no longer tailgate because there is food provided, and my dad isn’t there to manually keep the score with his little pencil.
As a parent, I had hoped that Miss Sarah would be into T-ball like I was and then softball. I was on several teams through my teens and early twenties but that was me. Her thing is dance and volleyball. That is OK – she isn’t here to relive my life, but to create her own journey! These Take Me Out to the Ball Game cupcakes are for any parent who sits on the sidelines watching little league, JV or Varsity sports while they think back to their own fond memories of the classic American pastime. Have no fear, they start out with a boxed mix – the details are in the decorating. If you want to make the cupcakes from scratch, have no fear – you can start with our chocolate cupcake recipe here, and then continue when they have cooled!
Take Me Out to the Ball Game Day Cupcakes
You will need:
1 Box milk chocolate cake mix
3 large eggs
1 C whole milk
1/2 C unsalted sweet cream butter softened
Vanilla Frosting – you can buy 2 cans or make ours!
Vanilla Frosting ingredients
1 C unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
2 C powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp heavy whipping cream
3 drops of leaf green gel food coloring
1 medium ice cream scooper
1 mini angled spatula
For the Baseball fondant piece
1 box of white vanilla fondant
1 tube of red cookie icing
1 disposable piping bag, fitted with a number 2 tip
1 3 inch round circle cookie/fondant cutter
1 C powdered sugar to dust cutting board
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners
- Using a standing mixer, combine all cupcake ingredients and beat on medium speed until combined, smooth and fluffy
- Scoop batter into the cupcake liners about 3/4 full
- Bake in the oven for 21 minutes
- Once baked, allow to cool completely
Baseball fondant piece directions
- Sprinkle powdered sugar onto cutting board
- roll out fondant into 1/2 inch thickness
- Use the cutter and cut out 22 circles
- Squeeze the cookie icing into the piping bag
- Pipe out the lines of the baseball onto the fondant piece
- Allow to dry while you finish the cupcakes
Vanilla frosting directions
- Using a standing mixer, beat all ingredients on medium to high speed until creamy, fluffy and stiff with peaks
- Using the ice cream scooper, scoop 1 mound of frosting onto the cupcake
- Using the angled spatula, spread it slightly to cover entire top of cupcake
- Carefully place baseball fondant piece into the center of the frosting.
- Repeat steps with remaining frosting and enjoy your game day cupcakes!